5.22.2012

Nerd Alert

8 days.

That is how many days I have until I have to go back to work again!  I am so excited, especially since I got called off from my last night shift last night.  You have no idea how amazing sleeping in bed with your husband during normal sleeping hours is until you have to sleep by yourself from 8am-3pm six times in two weeks.  It's so lonely!

Let me just tell you the one other thing I'm most excited to do during my break:

READ, READ READ.

Ok I realize how nerdy that makes me sound, but remember my hubby is still studying 8 hours a day for the LSAT so I have some free time.  But if you want to know a secret - I really am the ultimate book worm nerd.  Now that I'm married and have some self-confidence I have no shame in divulging this.  The facts:

  • As a child, my momma had to ground me from reading, because if she sent me to my room as "punishment", I would just curl up with a book for hours perfectly happy and content.
  • I would go to the library once a month with my book bag, and check out 30 books at a time (the maximum allowed), and I would easily get through them all before it was time to go back.
  • I have ruined my eyes I think from the hours I spent as a child reading by flashlight under my blanket... and then reading by the light of my clock when my flashlight got taken away.
  • I can't tell you how many nights I have said "just one more chapter" until I can see that light peaking through my window and I can hear the birds starting to chirp.  I read Harry Potter 7 in one night, and I started it at 5pm.  And then I cried because I read it so fast and didn't want it to be over.
  • My husband now knows that if I have tears streaming down my face while I have a book in my hands, I'm probably ok.  I happily cry during books, cuz usually those are my favorite ones.  (Who wouldn't cry when Big Dan saved Billy from the mountain lion in Where the Red Fern Grows, when Beth died and left poor Jo in Little Women, or when Anne loses sweet Matthew, the first person to really love her, in Anne of Green Gables?)



If you are wondering if I developed any social skills as a child, don't worry.  I still had friends, and by the end of middle school reading had taken a back seat to "hanging out".  I even took an almost 2 year break from reading for fun during nursing school.  Talk about a sacrifice.  But now I am married and can read as much as I want guilt-free!  Whoop whoop!

So here is my list of books to read in the next week, and then this summer.  If any one has any books they just loved, please let me know so I can add it to my list!

Must Reads
Sons of Fortune (Book Club book!)
East of Eden
Persuasion
On the Corner of Bitter & Sweet
Love in the Time of Cholera
11/22/63




1 comment:

  1. YAY. love that you're such a reader! East of Eden is my all time favorite and hotel on the corner of bitter & sweet is AMAZING.

    Can't wait to see you at book club :)

    ReplyDelete