9.15.2011

Not quite domestic

So I had to work a 12-hr shift today and decided to be a super sweet wife and put together a crock pot dinner so loverboy had something to eat for dinner while i was gone.  

Adorable, right?  

I found a recipe for White Chili and I had about 80% of the ingredients it called for, so I just threw in a few random items to make up for what was missing.  I was totally feeling like Rachel Ray and just flying around the kitchen like a natural born chef.  

When I got home from my shift at like 8pm, Dawson had been a dear and waited for me to eat (he even set the table, what a stud)!  He said "Your soup is making the house smell like apple cider" and I did notice the smell wasn't what I was expecting.  I mean, the main ingredients were chicken and beans, I was hoping for a more Mexican vibe, not apple cider.

We started eating and he was pretending to enjoy it but it literally tasted like chili mixed with potpourri and I couldn't stand not saying something.  After about 5 bites:  
WHY IN THE HECK DOES THIS CHILI TASTE LIKE CINNAMON?!  

Then I had a revelation.  Went over to my spices, and low and behold - Chili Powder was right next to Cinnamon, and go figure, they are somewhat similar colors... In my mad rush and trying to be creative (it didn't call for chili powder... I mean chili powder is RED and it's WHITE chili, but I just figured since it had chili in the name it would work instead of cumin. Wrong), I had accidentally put the wrong seasoning in. 

Oopsie... 

Husband was so sweet and we decided to just put lots of chips, cheese and sour cream in and you could barely taste the cinnamon.  We both finished but there was a lot of laughing throughout the rest of dinner.  Dawson asked "Should I be expecting a lot of dinners like this?"  
I'm sorry love, but the answer is unfortunately YES.

2 comments:

  1. That is hilarious. 6 year later and I'm still doing stuff like that, that's why Colin and I are skinny, I'm a crappy chief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the first times I made this exact white Chili I was having company over so I doubled the recipe. I think it says a dash of cloves, which I don't even like cloves, but I somehow did like 2 tsp. I did not know by the smell but you should sure taste the problem. Lots of sour cream and toppings made it edible, plus I added more broth or something. So you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete