7.31.2013

horse whisperer



i would like to share a story of when i was a little girl of about 8 years of age.  i had a slight obsession with horses and i would read books about them and play with my collection of model horses for hours and hours (i don't know why i was such a nerdy child).  i was thoroughly convinced i would someday be the first girl jockey to win the kentucky derby.

now to the point of this story.  we were out bowling as a family, and i got a strike.  my dad was very impressed, and when i got a second strike after that he was in shock (remember i was only 8 yrs old).  my dad was then bold enough (or doubted me enough) to throw this bet out:

"missy, if you can get THREE STRIKES in a row, i will buy you your very own horse"

i'm sure you can guess what happened next.  that's right, I GOT ANOTHER STRIKE!  what can i say, i was on fire.  nothing can stop a determined 8 year old from her dreams.  i was the happiest girl in the world knowing that i was soon on my way to the kentucky derby.  well, now it's almost 20 years later and i'm still wondering where my horse is???  i'm sure my dad is just waiting to find the perfect one...

anyway, he DID at least take us all horseback riding (on borrowed horses) in park city last week.  all the whittinghams channeled their inner cowboy/cowgirl and hit the trails.  we were naturals, and i'm certain that given the chance i could still make it to the kentucky derby.    

1 comment:

  1. Um you totally could and I bet you'd give those little 80 pound jockeys a run for their money!! So cute!! And I bet your dads waiting for you to buy a farm or something before he gets you that horse ;)

    ReplyDelete